All students are admitted to Notre Dame with a general description of their future intentions. College and school intents are recorded as:
- Architecture, Bachelor of Arts: FY-AR-BAR
- Arts and Letters, Bachelor of Arts: FY-AL-BA
- Arts and Letters, Bachelor of Fine Arts: FY-AL-BFA
- Arts and Letters, Undecided: FY-AL-NONE
- Mendoza College of Business, Bachelor of Business Administration: FY-BA-BBA
- College of Science, Bachelor of Science: FY-SC-BS
These abbreviations may appear on the Course Selection Form that you will fill out in June, but your program and major may change as you begin to take classes and learn more about your interests and strengths, as well as what a college major requires. You do not have to select the major you chose on your application, and you can change your major at any time during your first year.
The formal declaration of your future college takes place in the spring semester and requires a meeting with your first-year advisor who will help you complete the necessary paperwork. Before this meeting takes place, you will be asked to complete a set of mid-year self-reflection questions that will provide background information to help your advisor support you in making a well-informed decision about the future of your studies at Notre Dame.