The courses required by the First Year Curriculum are grouped in five categories:
- Course 1: Writing and Rhetoric or University Seminar: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 2: Mathematics: both fall and spring semester
- Course 3: Science: both fall and spring semester
- Course 4: University Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 5: Program Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
In addition, you are expected to take the Moreau First Year Experience course. You may also take voluntary one-credit courses.
In June, you will be asked to submit your fall course preferences via our electronic Course Preference Form in the Fall Registration Task Center found in insideND. Your advisor will work with your preferences, your test scores, your high school transcript, and other information to create a fall semester schedule for you. For the spring semester, after consultation with your advisor, you will receive an access code called a Personal Identification Number, or PIN, that will allow you to register yourself through Notre Dame’s online registration system.
We have provided examples of typical first-semester schedules for a selection of college programs to help you understand how scheduling works. You particular schedule for the fall semester may differ.
All programs include the Moreau First Year Experience. The University Requirements and electives offered in the First Year Curriculum are in history, social sciences, philosophy, theology, literature, fine arts, and languages.