The courses required by the First Year Curriculum are grouped in five categories:
- Course 1: Writing and Rhetoric or University Seminar: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 2: Mathematics: both fall and spring semester
- Course 3: Science: both fall and spring semester
- Course 4: University Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 5: Program Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
In addition, you are expected to take the Moreau First Year Experience course. You may also take voluntary one-credit courses.
The University Requirements and electives offered in the First Year Curriculum are in history, social sciences, philosophy, theology, literature, fine arts, and languages.
The course choices listed on this site are courses that have guaranteed seats for first-year students. Other courses may be taken to satisfy your University requirements. Consult “browse classes” at https://inside.nd.edu/task/all/browseclasses and search by attribute to find additional options. Entering univ. in the attribute search box will give you a dropdown menu of University requirement codes to choose for your search. Check the attributes for each course by clicking on the title to make sure it satisfies the requirement you want.
First-year students use the NOVO system to register for spring semester courses.