The courses required by the First Year Curriculum are grouped in five categories:
- Course 1: Writing and Rhetoric or University Seminar: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 2: Mathematics: both fall and spring semester
- Course 3: Science: both fall and spring semester
- Course 4: University Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
- Course 5: Program Requirement or Elective: one in fall semester, the other in spring semester
In addition, you are expected to take the Moreau First Year Experience course. You may also take voluntary one-credit courses.
In June, you will be asked to submit your fall course preferences via our electronic Course Preference Form. You can access this form in our Fall Registration Task Center in newinside.nd.edu.
Your advisor will work with your preferences, your test scores, your high school transcript, and other information to create a fall semester schedule for you. For the spring semester, after consultation with your advisor, you will receive an access code called a Personal Identification Number, or PIN, that will allow you to register yourself through Notre Dame’s online registration system.
The following are typical first-semester schedules for a selection of college programs:
- Arts and Letters: Undecided
- Arts and Letters: Art Studio (ARST), Design (DESN), Art History
- Arts and Letters: Bachelor of Fine Arts
- Arts and Letters: Music
- Arts and Letters: Pre-professional Studies
- Arts and Letters: Neuroscience and Behavior with a Pre-Med Concentration
- Arts and Letters: Neuroscience and Behavior
- Engineering: Engineering (EG), Engineering-Arts and Letters
- Science: Biology (BIOS), Environmental Sciences
- Science: Biochemistry
- Science: Chemistry
- Science: Math (MATH), Applied and Computational Mathematics and Statistics
- Science: Physics
- Science: Science Pre-Professional
- Science: Neuroscience and Behavior
- Science: Science Business (SCBU), Science Computing (SCCO), Science Education
- For the undecided with an inclination toward Science
- For the undecided with an inclination toward Arts and Letters or Business
- For the undecided with an inclination toward Engineering
All programs include the Moreau First Year Experience course. The University Requirements and electives offered in the First Year Curriculum are in history, social sciences, philosophy, theology, literature, fine arts, and languages.